Boone and Crockett Club, Rocky
Mountain Elk Foundation and Mule Deer Foundation formed the Chronic Wasting Disease Alliance in
January 2002. The organizations agreed to pool resources, share information, and collaborate on ways
to positively address the CWD issue. Other organizations have since joined the alliance.
The mission of the CWD Alliance is to promote responsible and accurate communications regarding CWD, and to support strategies that effectively control CWD to minimize its impact on wild, free-ranging cervids including deer, elk, and moose.
The Alliance encourages the development of solutions that do not necessitate the depopulation of wild cervid populations, and recognizes that appropriate public information and education are vital to the resolution of the CWD dilemma. In an effort to promote responsible, timely and accurate communications the Alliance will:
- Develop and maintain a comprehensive CWD website
- Co-sponsor National CWD Symposium.
- Cooperate on the publication of responsible and accurate CWD articles in their respective organization's member magazines
- Serve as a resource for other media sources seeking information about CWD.
- Encourage research into the development of an accurate and practical live animal diagnostic test; and a timely
and accurate field test for checking hunter-harvested deer and elk.
Other potential Alliance activities include:
CWD Alliance Partners and Sponsors
(Click on name to learn more about these organizations)
Learn About Becoming a Partner or Sponsor.
- Sponsorship or co-sponsorship of other CWD educational projects such as symposia, publications, and videos.
- Working with state and federal agencies to develop policy recommendations for the management and eradication of CWD
- Providing expert testimony to select decision makers such as state wildlife commissions, state legislatures, and the United States Congress
Contact the Alliance